I am a registered sole trader operating as JT Foster Proofreading. I offer proofreading, proof-editing and copyediting services to students, academics, authors and businesses. My client base is mainly within the UK, but can be worldwide.
This policy describes how I protect and make use of information you give me.
If you are asked to provide information, it will only be used in ways stated within this policy.
This policy was last updated on 21 May 2018.
What data is collected and why?
The following information is gathered:
- email address
- information related to your enquiry (e.g. word count, type of project, institution or organisation you are studying or working at)
- other contact information such as postal address and phone number.
This data is used:
- to contact you in relation to your inquiry, during the course of a project or to follow up after completion of a project
- to record contractual agreements
- for accounting purposes (e.g. so I can invoice you) and for compliance with the tax authority (HMRC) should an audit be required.
I will never use this data for marketing or promotion purposes without getting your permission in writing first (for example, to publish your testimonial on my website).
How do I collect your personal data?
I collect information through:
- a contact form (via WordPress)
- email (via Gmail).
I will never lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless you give me written permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law.
How do I store your personal data?
Your information is primarily stored on my personal, password protected PC and the following data servers:
How long do I keep your data for?
Because many of my customers and clients work with me more than once, I do not delete data unless specifically requested to do so.
HMRC requires me to keep records for ‘at least 5 years after te 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year’. See ‘How long to keep your records‘.
Please ask if you want me to delete or amend your records. As long as I’m complying with HMRC’s legal requirements, I’ll action your request immediately.
With whom is your data shared?
No one, unless requested in writing by you, or HMRC decides to audit my records.
I will not pass on your data or information about your project to anyone, unless explicitly authorised by you.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or request in relation to modifying or removing your data, please email me at Juliet.email@example.com or write to me at JT Foster, 49 The Drive, North Shields, NE30 4JW, UK.